Tagged: Motel

Ara Vista Motel Postcard, ca. 1950. 2

Craig’s Auto Court / Ara Vista Motel

      Soon after it’s opening in 1933, Barbur Boulevard between SW Terwilliger Boulevard and Tigard sprouted dozens of businesses devoted to serving automobile travelers. Service stations, restaurants and motels lined this stretch of the new West Side Pacific Highway. Motels, or auto courts, as they were first called,...

Craig's Auto Court 0

Craig’s Auto Court

Craig’s Auto Court operated at 9449 SW Barbur Boulevard from 1937 to 1943, when it became the Ara Vista Motel. A Wendy’s occupies the site today. Soon after its opening in 1933, Barbur Boulevard between SW Terwilliger Boulevard and Tigard sprouted dozens of businesses devoted to serving automobile travelers. Service...

Colonial Village Motel, ca. 1940. 0

Colonial Village Motel

Colonial Village Motel, ca. 1940. Note the rural landscape to the rear of the motel – only a couple of houses and barns. Colonial Village Motel postcard verbiage, ca. 1940. Soon after it’s opening in 1933, Barbur Boulevard between Terwilliger and Tigard sprouted dozens of businesses devoted to serving automobile...

Portland West Side Auto Camp, ca. 1930. 0

Portland West Side Auto Camp

The first facilities specifically for automobile tourists were auto camps – campgrounds where the motor tourist could pitch a tent and have access to shared kitchen and bathing facilities. These were usually anchored by a gas station, store and sometimes a cafe. The earliest auto camp in Southwest Portland was...