Tagged: auto camp

Pierce Sanitorium. Sunday Oregonian, August 12, 1917. 0

Pierce Sanitorium

In 1851, John Slavin obtained a Donation Land Claim and built a cabin and barn at what is now Capitol Highway and Sunset Boulevard.  By 1882 he was prosperous enough to build a large mansion.  After Slavin died in 1908, his family subdivided and sold off the property. Dr. Edward...

Portland West Side Auto Camp, ca. 1930. 0

Portland West Side Auto Camp

The first facilities specifically for automobile tourists were auto camps – campgrounds where the motor tourist could pitch a tent and have access to shared kitchen and bathing facilities. These were usually anchored by a gas station, store and sometimes a cafe. The earliest auto camp in Southwest Portland was...