Second Maplewood School
The second Maplewood School was built during the winter of 1913-1914, and opened to 101 students in the fall of 1914. The building basically consisted of two large rooms, each 33 feet deep and 23 feet wide with fir flooring. There were large blackboards, 3 ½ feet by 18 feet, in each room. There were two outhouses in the back of the school. The building was attractively built with a belfry with a real bell on the rooftop to call the children to class. Young Annie Zweifel was one of the starting students. She later wrote of those years:
“There were a great many more cows than children in Maplewood in those early years. The school had only two rooms. The first four grades were together in one room. The other room contained the big kids: fifth through eighth grades.”
In 1915 the school was raised and a basement put in. The basement had two large playrooms, one for the girls and one for the boys, 22 ½ by 18 feet each, with a drain in the cement floor and water fountains in each room. It also included a furnace room and restrooms for the boys and girls on each side with two toilets in each one.
In the summer of 1922 the school had some major changes. Blueprints show a large assembly room 67 feet wide and 23 feet deep across the back of the basement with a fir floor over three inches of cement. A new furnace room, two small rooms, the two restrooms for the boys and girls were moved to the front of the basement and enlarged to each contain four toilets.
In 1953 construction began on the third, and current, Maplewood School. At the end of the 1953-1954 school year the old building was razed except for the gymnasium; the new building opened for classes on September 7, 1954.