In 1851, John Slavin obtained a Donation Land Claim and built a cabin and barn at what is now Capitol Highway and Sunset Boulevard. By 1882 he was prosperous enough to build a large mansion. After Slavin died in 1908, his family subdivided and sold off the property. Dr. Edward A. Pierce bought the lot containing the 1882 Slavin house in 1917, remodeled it, added twenty-five cabins, and opened the Pierce Tuberculosis Sanatorium. Pierce closed the sanatorium in 1925 and leased the land and buildings to George and Elsie Battey, who converted the sanatorium into the Portland West Side Auto Camp. The camp operated first as an auto camp, then as a motel, and finally as a trailer park from 1925 to 1953.
The photos and article below are from the August 12, 1917 Sunday Oregonian.