Then and Now – Sip D’Vine
This summer we did a series of “Then and Now” posters for Multnomah businesses. The posters features a vintage image of the building housing the business, a small inset image of the current facade, and a brief history of the building. Over the next several weeks we’re going to publish the images and an expanded version of the histories here. This week’s “Then and Now” is Sip D’vine.
The caption reads: Roy Younge pumped Union Gasoline at the Multnomah Garage from 1919 to 1921. From the 1920s to the 1940s, the building housed Walt Beardsley’s Texaco. Other businesses at this address were Annie Bloom’s Books, Vintage Corner, Artemisia, and a sister store to Hippo Hardware, ”Holding and Fondling Co”.
7827 SW Capitol Hwy
1919-1921 Multnomah Garage (see 7829)- Roy Younge
1920’s-1940’s Walter Beardsley Garage
1949 Pat’s Auto Service
1953-1963 Multnomah Cleaners- William Orr
1963-present Hong’s Multnomah Cleaners
7829 SW Capitol Hwy
bef 1919 Built by James Jackson (Jackson & Lovejoy grocery)
bef 1919 Multnomah Garage (see 7827)- Roy Younge
1919-1921 “ “ sold to Ralph Wilcox
1921-1935 Several new car dealerships
1977-1984 Annie Bloom’s Bookstore- Bobbi Tichenor
1990’s Vintage Corner (moved to 7881)
1999 Hippo Hardware- “Holding & Fondling Co.”
2000’s-present Sip d’Vine- Jill Crecraft
Patti Waitman-Ingebretsen researched this building’s history. A list of all known occupants of all Multnomah commercial buildings is available from the Multnomah Historical Association, just email us.