Then and Now – Maggie’s Boutique
This summer we did a series of “Then and Now” posters for Multnomah businesses. The posters features a vintage image of the building housing the business, a small inset image of the current facade, and a brief history of the building. Over the next several weeks we’re going to publish the images and an expanded version of the histories here. This week’s “Then and Now” is Maggie’s Boutique.
The caption reads: Dewey Bulich & Multnomah Shoe Shop. ca. 1935. From 1925 until the mid 1960s, this building housed shoe stores. From 1925 to 1933 John Vaters operated the Multnomah Shoe Shop. Dewey Bulich bought out Vaters in 1933 and ran the store, remodeling it to its current look in 1950, until his death in 1958. The building is still owned by the Bulich family.
7868 SW Capitol Highway
1925 – 1933 – Multnomah Shoe Shop – John Vaters
1933 – 1958 – Multnomah Shoe Shop – Dewey Bulich
1960’s Wieby Shoes (moved to Hillsdale)
1970’s Strictly R.C.
1980’s Antique Repair & Woodworking- Nancy Donner
1998 Thinker Toys (moved from 7880 & 7882)
2000 – 2013 – Post Hip C.D.’s
2013 to present – Maggie’s Boutique
Patti Waitman-Ingebretsen researched this building’s history. A list of all known occupants of all Multnomah commercial buildings is available from the Multnomah Historical Association, just email us.