Then and Now – Jones and Jones
This summer we did a series of “Then and Now” posters for Multnomah businesses. The posters features a vintage image of the building housing the business, a small inset image of the current facade, and a brief history of the building. Over the next several weeks we’re going to publish the images and an expanded version of the histories here. This week’s “Then and Now” is Jones and Jones Jewelers.
The caption reads: Multnomah Hardware, ca. 1950. This structure was built in 1925. It’s first occupant was the Multnomah Hardware store. The store was operated by the McDonald family, selling paint, electrical supplies, fishing tackle and general hardware. The space along the brick wall outside on the 36th Avenue side was used to store fencing supplies, lumber and tools.
7856 SW Capitol Highway
Only in recent years was it divided into separate retail spaces. The Multnomah Hardware Store was operated by members of the McDonald family for many years. Paints, electrical supplies, fishing tackle and general hardware items were offered for sale. For some time, both sides were homes to antique shops.
1925 – 1950’s Multnomah Hardware-McDonald Family (see 7858)
19?? Multnomah Bakery- Edward Schaefer
1970’s Food Hobby Shop
1988 Blue Heron Art Gallery- Irene Osborne Snider
1990’s The Loon’s Necklace (move to 36th & Multnomah Blvd)
2000’s – present Jules of Morocco (see 7858)
7858 SW Capitol Highway
1925 – 1950’s Multnomah Hardware-McDonald family (see 7856)
1970’s Furniture Restoration
1980’s Bon Voyage Travel (moved to 3590 SW Troy)
1980’s Antique Shop
1990’s Bon Voyage Travel (moved from 3590 SW Troy)
2000 – 2013 present Jules of Morocco (see 7856)
2013 – present Jones and Jones Jewelers
Patti Waitman-Ingebretsen researched this building’s history. A list of all known occupants of all Multnomah commercial buildings is available from the Multnomah Historical Association, just email us.