Multnomah Dairy Farm
The Multnonah Dairy Farm was located at the east end of present Gabriel Park. You can see another view of the farm, and the future park, in our Picture of the Week from January 27.
Twenty-six year old Heinrich Tannler arrived in SW Portland from his native Switzerland in 1901, carrying one suitcase that contained all his belongings. Henry chose SW Portland because many of the dairy farmers who had left his part of Switzerland for America had already settled in southwest Portland, finding it very suitable for dairy farming.
Henry went to work for M. Von Bergen, who rented the twenty-five acres that would become the Multnomah Dairly Farm. Tannler and Bergen cleared the land us horses and dynamite. Initially, the farm consisted of an orchard, and corn, hay, wheat and potatoes raised in the fields. The dairy consisted of only a few cows. After a couple of years B. Eberly bought Bergen’s stock and took over the lease on the farm, taking on Tannler as a partner. A few years after that, Tannler bought out Eberly and purchased the land. Henry’s mother, father, and four sisters came from Switzerland to the farm. Henry married his sweetheart, Annie Stricker, March 19, 1908.
Henry called his farm the Multnomah Dairy, but in finding out there was a Multnomah Creamery in Portland he added ‘Farm’ to his dairy name. With Annie’s help the dairy farm really began to prosper. The Multnomah Dairy Farm delivered milk to Multnomah, Hillsdale, southwest Portland and to West Portland, and a number of grocery stores in that area. The business was very successful, considering the number of dairies in the area at that time.
Henry died March 18, 1946 at age 72. Annie tried to run the farm but it was too much for her and she sold the milk routes to Alpenrose Dairy and the milk they produced to City Dairy in Portland. In 1950 when Margaret Gabriel sold her farm and Anna (Gabriel) and John Fuez sold part of their property to the City of Portland, Annie also decided to sell her twenty-five acres to the city to create Gabriel Park. Annie was allowed to stay on the place for ten years free. When the ten years was up she moved to 2304 SW Idaho where she resided until her death April 30, 1968.