The second Maplewood School can be seen in the middle right.
When the Oregon Electric Railroad opened for passenger service on January 30, 1908, it was a single track line full of twists, turns, and hills. Railroad magnate James J. Hill bought the Oregon Electric Railroad in February of 1910 and immediately began to upgrade the line. Hill realized that a single line track out of Portland with its curves, high trestles, and steep grades was inadequate for the increasing volume of traffic on the Oregon Electric. Hill began straightening the railway and adding a second track.
Trestle was located at dotted line in left labelled “(Old) Oregon Electric Ry. Co.” Drawing by Kaye Synoground.
By 1914 after more than a year of construction, the double track from Portland to Garden Home was completed. The high trestle was abandoned and the huge fill just beyond Multnomah Station was completed. The straightening of curves and eliminating grades resulted in a savings of two tenths of a mile. The work necessitated cutting a hilltop, filling three valleys, construction of a great retaining wall to hold the mountain back from the rails and numerous minor changes in the face of nature.
Photographs donated to Multnomah Historical Association by the Wendland Family.