The Maplewood story begins with the Niebur family’s donation land grant of 320 acres filed in May of 1873. They located their homestead in the present day April Park area. The land was a mix of forest and meadows with a crystal clear stream we now call Fanno Creek. Other early settlers were the Nelsons and Ernst Bohlman. In 1885 John Hoffman bought 60 areas and started a dairy farm which became one of the largest in Multnomah County in the late 1880’s and 1890’s. The road from Portland ended in Hillsdale. In order to market his milk he built Hoffman Road which is our present Vermont Street. Chinese laborers were hired to construct the hand-hewn plank road. Development came more rapidly with the coming of the Oregon Electric Railroad in 1908. The Oregon Electric Named ist stop Kusa, after a tribe formerly occupying villages on Coos River and Bay, and on lower Coquille River. A booster club was formed in 1911 to work for improvements in the area. They purchased and planted a number of Norway maple trees along the community streets and petitioned the railroad to change the station name from Kusa to Maplewood.
More on the Kusan Indians can be found here: http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/kusan-indians.htm