About Multnomah

The neighborhood began as a land claim of Thomas and Polly-Anne Tice, and through the 1800’s the area remained a densely wooded area, unnamed and home to only a few residents. The community of Multnomah developed in the 1910s around a depot of the Oregon Electric Railway of the same name. In 1910, H.L.Gilbert consolidated the majority of the current business district (including the existing Home Addition) into the Wildwood Subdivision. At this point, the site was bounded by the same physical streets, but their names were: Fulton Boulevard, Farewell Street and Gordon Avenue. The neighborhood continued to grow and was eventually annexed to Portland over an 8-year period beginning in 1954.For more detailed information on the history of Multnomah and Southwest Portland, see the publications page.