7783 SW Capitol Highway
A log cabin is the first known structure on this site. It sold “Made o’ Clover” ice cream. The log cabin was moved to Glencullen, where it still stands, when the present building was constructed in 1927.
The present building was constructed in 1927. It was the temporary home of Sigfried’s Multnomah Drug in 1931. Gregg Owens Chevrolet dealership remodeled the building in 1936 before moving to their new building on Barbur Blvd in 1938. This dealership would later become Ron Tonkin Chevrolet.
When Gregg Owens moved in 1938 the building housed cold storage lockers that could be rented by customers for meat storage. Willock’s meat Market moved in in 1940, and sometime later in the 1940s William Durst’s Thriftee Market took over.
Bill Ryan’s Thriftway, one of the first Thriftways in Portland, opened at the location in 1952. In the 1970’s Oaktree Antiques took over the building, followed by Pagenwood Restoration & Woodworking from the 1980s to 2011.
7783 SW Capitol Highway History:
1920’s Log Cabin
1926 Log Cabin moved to Glen Cullen neighborhood
1926-1931 Sigfried’s Multnoah Drugs (new building)
1931 Capitol Cleaners
1936-1938 Gregg-Owens Chevrolet
1938 Cold Storage Lockers
1940’s Willock’s Meat Market
1950’s Bill Ryan’s Thriftway
1970’s Oaktree Antiques
1980’s-2011 Pagenwood Restoring/Pagenwood Woodworking